Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Home Flea Remedy?

I noticed this morning that Tootsie had fleas. My first reaction was.. "NOOOO!!!!". I didn't notice them on the other dogs but then again, their coats are much darker. I didn't want to have to purchase expensive pills or shampoos because chances are, with 5 dogs in our house, the fleas won't stay gone long. So the first thing I did was start searching for flea home remedies. Everything that I read said two things. Tea tree oil shampoo and lavender. The all natural ingredients in the tea tree oil shampoo was supposed to kill the fleas and the lavender is supposed to repell them for the future. BINGO! I had both of those items. I had recently purchased some tea tree oil shampoo from Sally's Beauty Supply but I didn't like it at all. I had actually been using it for shaving cream, hehe! I checked out the ingredients and they are 100% organic. Next item, the lavender. I didn't have any fresh cut lavender considering I live in the Houston suburbs but I did have some lavender body spray. I checked out the ingredients and none would be harmful if a small amount was spritz onto the dogs after their bath. And so the bathing began. Bathing five dogs alone is quite a challenge, but we seemed to have come out alright. As I was bathing each dog I noticed that Tootsie wasn't the only one with fleas. Luckily the tea tree oil shampoo was killing them and I watched the dead fleas slowly float down the drain. Success! At least the current fleas were deceased. After I bathed and towel dried each dog I gave them each one spritz of lavender mist onto their back and also sprayed their collars. I checked them all later and there wasn't a flea to be found. Not only were they flealess but their coats are super soft and they smell amazing. Just to be safe I am also washing all of the towels, sheets, and blankets in the house. Anything that the dogs may have had contact with. I sprayed the couches and carpet with Febreeze because the chemicals will kill whatever existing fleas are left and also leave my house smelling so fresh and so clean clean. Here are photos of the products that I used...


I'll keep you posted and let you know how this flea remedy is working!
Thanks for visiting =)

No comments:

Post a Comment